Sunday, November 28, 2010

the discrete

A lesson learned by 2 unnamed persons living at this address. reason being unnamed person #1 doesn't want to be embarrassed. But, unnamed person #2 thought it was so neat it should be shared. So person #1 made a big mistake and while grumpy made a deliberate wrong choice.(what it was I will not mention) Well after the wrong choice was made consequences must follow. Consequences was the neat part. Instead of being angry which is usually my first reaction I(person #2) stayed calm but expressed my sincere disappointment and decided to let someone else be the teacher for this one. I had recently re-read an article written by Thomas S. Monson about the the 3 R's of choice. I related the 3 R's. we have the right to make choices, we have the responsibility that comes with that right to make good choices. and then Results all choices have a consequence and that is what make choosing so important. there was a story that told of a man who had made a decision not to do something and a time came that challenged his decision. He thought that just this once he could do differently. but he still stuck to his original committed decision. He talks about how 30 years later that was one of the most important choices of his life. that it is easier to live by something 100 % of the time than 98%. meaning that if you justify it once it will be easier to justify it again and again until you are not justifying but easily doing. Then it is really hard to go back and not do it anymore.
Person #2 talked to person #1 about how that applies to every decision we make whether it is choosing to cheat, steal, swear, try drugs or alcohol etc.

Person #1 felt sorry for making the bad decision and wanted to better. So I guess it worked. It was a really neat experience for both of us. I think that we both learned from it. Now the offense was not the worst of the worst but it was the conscious choice to do it that disappointed me most. I treated it very seriously as to nip it in the bud before became a problem.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love when we can be calm in situations like this that leave us in an angry huff other times. I think I need to read that article myself and find a creative way to teach it for FHE. Thanks for sharing this with us!