I had an experience last night that was something I have secretly hoped for my whole life.
I had signed up to help with some ushering at the temple before the official open house starts next week. My assignment was to be a "silent sentinel" while making sure that those on the tour didn't turn the wrong way when entering or exiting the baptistery. The first guided group walks into the baptistery and an older gentlemen takes 2 steps into the room turns around and shakes my hand. yeah as you can guess it was an apostle-- DALLIN H. OAKS!!!!!!!
But let me back up. my first thought was I hope I don't get in trouble for shaking someones hand because we were told do not interact or talk to anyone coming on the tours. Then I thought, wait! was that who I thought it was? Oh my word! I think that was Elder Oaks! So stared at the back of his bald head just willing him to turn around so I could see his face again to verify that it was really him because I didn't really think of who it was when it happened. Then he spoke and asked his guide to share a specific story and when I heard his voice I knew it was really him. Then when they were exiting he turned around and gave a big smile. I almost cried. Then his group started going the wrong way but I didn't feel that I had the right to tell him that they were going the wrong way. It was a fun experience for me all night but the highlight happened with in the first minute I was there.
After our time of service was finished we got to wonder through the temple and take our own tour and it was amazing to be there with only a handful of people and the quietness and emptiness and just explore and picture myself or my children in those rooms. This is our temple and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to help and look forward to serving again.
9 years ago




2 comments:
That is so neat! When we were in the University ward I shook Elder Faust's hand and the Spirit was so strong as it bore witness to me that he was a true servant of God. These kinds of experiences stay with you forever.
AWESOME! You know he could feel you wishing him to turn around, right? He totally knew...that is such a great story.
Hey, when do you need the cupcakes? I can't find the email you sent about it. Let me know, I'm starting to bake right now! :)
Post a Comment