Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Talents

I wonder how we "judge" ourselves as people/women/mothers? As I just glanced at a couple of my posts I saw that I said that I don't have the talent of sewing, or the talent of doing my daughters hair, I don't have a talent of photography, or other visible talents. So on a scale of 1-10 I score, well, lets just say very low on the visible talent scale. I have always thought that I have no fashion sense except if it is compfy wear it. and I definitely have no musical talents. Again no outward visible talent. This used to really bother me. seriously I was so self consious in public. People used to say well at least you have a nice laugh. Is that all people could come up with?
It all comes down to the old cliche, It what's on the inside that counts. I have a talent not only to laugh but to get a laugh out of my children. I believe that I am compassionate and sympathetic. I have the ability to help others when they need it. I used to be quite loud and obnoxious, but I have learned to be a quiet observer. You wouldn't know it by the outward visible appearance by I am a loyal friend to the very end.
I am not bragging by any means. But I have been thinking a lot about this lately. As I watch my children start to become aware of their outward image and become self conscious about the way they sing, dress, eat, act with others. I hope that even though I couldn't pass on any visible talents to my children that I can teach them the lesson that has taken me 30+ years to figure out. It really is what is on the inside that counts. Be the best YOU you can be and that is good enough. That my example of kindness, and other inner talents will help them too.
Granted, I am far from perfect and have a lot of improvement to do, but, now I know that that is OK.

5 comments:

Jaqui said...

I happen to think you are amazing. I admire the way that you interact with your kids and others. You really are an example to follow. And you do have a great laugh. I'm glad I get to be your friend and observe and learn from you and the way you look at and live your life. Thanks!

Kelli said...

Amy, I agree with Jaqui... you are amazing!!!! I know exactly what you mean about visible talents. I always felt like I had nothing to show in a Talent Show. Bear in mind that my best friend was Katie... now there is "Talent Show" talent. She is actually the one who pointed out to me that talents don't have to be visual. They don't have to be something else anyone else sees or something you can display. Talents can come by means of how you make people feel around you and I for one have never once felt uncomfortable around you. Sometimes are talents are in teaching... I hear such fabulous things about your preschool (I hope you are still doing it when Grace is ready). Amy, I happen to think you are extremely talented! And at the same time I totally understand what you are saying.
Hope you like my novel... I just couldn't make it short!

Heather Shepherd said...

This reminds me of Kelli's blog about girl thinking. Why are we supposed to be showy? I keep thinking of the Young Women Values - especially Individual Worth.

You are so creative with your Preschool and your Scout Den. You always go the extra mile to help me out. You are a mother who hasn't killed her kids, but learned to deal with the challenges they pose in a positive manner.

I'm really glad that you are my friend!

ducknme said...

And yet I think of you as incrediably talented. You are smart, funny, kind to shy wayward neighbors, And you have incrediable kids in spite of the challenges they may face. Also you can take a shy little boy like my son and teach him not only that it's okay to be shy but that you don't always have to be. You are a wonderful teacher and a great friend.

Shannon said...

Don't compare! You are you, and you are amazing! I am so happy to have met you and had you as a friend and then a VT partner. You are a great person without judging others. I will always strive to be more like you!